Thursday 17 June 2010

How to Make a Dormouse Costume

Since this weekend is my son’s birthday and I’m making a TARDIS cake, I’m going to put off blogging about the Alice in Wonderland party until next week when (hopefully) I’ll have more time. Today I’m going to write a little bit about making a dormouse costume.

Here are a couple of photos of my youngest dressed as a dormouse. It was incredibly difficult to get a decent photo of him in his fancy dress outfit because (a) he wont stay still for more than 2.5 seconds and (b) he doesn’t like anything on his head so won’t put his hood up to show off the mouse ears I sewed on.

dormouse costume

dormouse costume

The dormouse costume was made with a brown hooded top, a pair of brown trousers, some foam cover wire and some peach coloured craft foam. The first bit I did was the tail. First I removed some of the foam coating from around one end of the wire, then used pliers to bend the newly exposed wire into a loop. I then used a small pair of scissors to make the other end of the tail more rounded, by snipping off small pieces of foam. Once this was done I sewed the tail onto the back of the trousers.

Next I did the ears. I cut out two teardrop shapes, cut off the top of each one then folded each one in half and sewed the bottom edge together to create a more natural ear shape, (it’s difficult to explain but hopefully you can understand what I mean from the photos). I then sewed the ears onto each side of the hood using peach coloured thread. And that’s all I had to do to make a dormouse costume. If I’d had a little more time I’d probably have made a little bow tie and sewn it onto the top.

All the children looked great at the party. Among the Alice in Wonderland costumes for boys we had playing cards, Mad Hatters, white rabbits and Tweedle Dum. When it came to the girls we, of course, had Alice in Wonderland costumes, but also a white rabbit, butterfly and Tweedle Dee.

Check back over the next few weeks to see photos of the party decorations, food and games!